How do I download and access VMware (Virtual Desktop)?
Red Deer Polytechnic students, faculty, and staff have access to a virtual (or remote) desktop environment called "VMware." VMware replicates your on-campus computer experience; when you use it, you'll be able to access your RDP computer desktop and software applications from anywhere. You'll also be able to seamlessly access the Library's e-resources, without logging in.
- Go to the VMware download page for your device:
VMware Horizon Client for Windows
VMware Horizon Client for Windows is only supported on Windows 10 or later. If you are using an earlier version, you will need to upgrade to Windows 10 or use the VMware Horizon web client.
VMware Horizon Client for macOS
VMware Horizon Client for macOS is only supported on macOS Catalina (10.15) and macOS Big Sur (11). If you are using an earlier version, you will need to upgrade to one of these or use the VMware Horizon web client.
VMware Horizon Client for Chromebook
VMware Horizon Client for Chrome is only supported on Chrome OS 75 or later. If you are using an earlier version, you will need to upgrade to Chrome OS 75 or use the VMware Horizon web client.
- Ensure that you have the most recent version selected in the Select Version drop-down list.
The newest version will be at the top of the list and will have the highest number.
- Click the Download Now button.
- Once the installation file has finished downloading, run the installer and follow the prompts. When installation is complete, click Finish.
- The installer will ask you to restart your computer. You can select No.
- VMware is now installed on your device.
The first time that you run VMware on your device after installation, you will need to enter the name of the connection server.
- Double-click on the VMware Horizon Client icon on your desktop to run the program.
- Click on the Add Server button, located in the top-right corner of the window.
- Enter mydesktop.rdc.ab.ca and click Connect.
- The connection server will then be added.
- In VMware, double-click on the mydesktop.rdc.ab.ca connection server.
- Log in to VMware using your RDP username and password.
If you are connecting to VMware from off-campus, VMware Horizon will open your web browser to the Microsoft 365 login page for multi-factor authentication. Log in with your RDP email and password and follow the prompts. Once completed, it will redirect you back to VMware and you will be able to log in to your virtual desktop.
If you have questions about VMware, ask Library staff or visit IT Service's portal and search for 'VMware'. If you don't find the information that you need, log in with your RDP username and password to submit a support ticket.