What is LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor?
Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the exam environment within Blackboard. When LockDown Browser is used during an online exam, you are unable to go to other URLs, switch applications, take screenshots, copy questions or print.
Respondus Monitor is a companion application for LockDown Browser that uses a webcam to prevent cheating during online exams.
If a Blackboard test requires that Respondus LockDown Browser and/or Respondus Monitor be used, you will not be able to take the test with a standard web browser.
How do I get LockDown Browser?
Follow these steps to install LockDown browser on your device:
- Watch the Introduction to Respondus LockDown Browser video.
- Review the Computer System Requirements for PC and Mac
- Instructions for installing LockDown Browser on a Chromebook are here.
- Download and install LockDown Browser.
How do I use LockDown Browser?
- Close all programs (unless one is used to connect you to the Internet).
- Locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-click it. (For Mac users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder.)
- If prompted, either close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging) by choosing Yes, or, close LockDown Browser and close the blocked program, then restart.
- Login to your Blackboard course.
- Navigate to the test and select it.
- If the instructor requires a test password, a new window will appear asking for the Exam Password. Enter the password and click Begin Exam.
- The test will then start. (Note, once a test has started with LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit button is clicked.)
How do I update LockDown Browser?
Follow these steps to update LockDown Browser:
- Open Respondus LockDown Browser
- From the toolbar, select the "i" icon (Windows) or About (Mac)
- Select Check for Newer Version
- Follow the instructions to download
Addition information from Respondus:
How to update LockDown Browser
What is Respondus Monitor and how do I use it?
Respondus Monitor is a companion application for LockDown Browser that uses a webcam to prevent cheating during online exams. Some RDP courses require the use of both LockDown browser and Respondus Monitor.
You can use the webcam built into your computer or a webcam that plugs in with a USB cable.
If you have further questions about using Respondus Monitor for a particular course, contact your instructor.
LockDown Browser and Monitor Technical Support for Students
If you are experiencing issues after successfully logging into the RDP Blackboard website using the LockDown browser, click on the "Help" button that appears in the browser.
Once you click the “Help” button, click "run a webcam check".
If you are still experiencing issues, get support directly from the Respondus Lockdown Support site:
- What happens if my Internet is disrupted, or I have technical issues, during an exam? (for RDP students)
- How do I take a test in Blackboard?